Our Kids

Our Kids
Aidan, Sydney, and Brooklyn

Friday, July 11, 2008

Getting Organized


Getting my crap organized has been a life long dream of mine. I have always had the desire but never really had the right tools. Since I had Brooklyn ( May 2007) I have been so overwhelmed with my responsabilites as a stay at home mom. I was getting eaten alive by all that I had to do. My house NEVER seemed to stay clean, laundry was a beast, my life felt outta control, and I was drowning. And my attitude showed. I would get comments from Aidan like "Mom, why are you so grumpy?" And I could never give him the right answer. I didn't even know why I was grumpy. I just was.

Last month, we went to a birthday party for one of Sydney's friends. It was a good time to go and sit and talk with other moms ( I don't have that in the Spanish Branch) and talk about stuff like " what do you do when this happends" or " how do you deal with this type of situation." And the topic of conversation was " how do you deal with organizing all your kids toys?" For me, I've never had a good organizing system for the toys in our house. I had a friend Kari who had 4 boys and all the toys possibly known to man... are her stuff was all in tubs. Ok, I thought, I'll try that. Didn't work. all the toys just got thrown in the tubs. It wasn't organized. So talking with these moms from the birthday party - I had an epiphany. What if I were to get several different tubs, organize the toys so each category of toy had their own bin, LABEL the tub and include a picture of what was in the tub. ( It gets better!) THEN put the toys UP in the closet shelves. If the kids want a tub, they need to ask for it, and when they are done, they clean it up and then they can get another tub down. BRILLIANT!!!!
So, I went to Target and bought a crap load of different sized bins. We came home and went to the toy room and I dumped the toy box out on the floor and had all the different bins out. One for cars, barbies, ponies, transformers, you get the idea. And I had the kids help me sort out all the toys. I was able to throw away crappy toys, broken toys, and get rid of stuff the kids no longer played with. Talk about liberating!! I then explained to the kids the toy rule. If you want to play with something, just ask, and when you're done everything goes back in the bin and we put a lid on it. And for the first time in 5 years we have a system that works GREAT for us!! Now this has sparked a chain reaction in my house. I'M ON A ROLL NOW!!!

4 comments:

melissa said...

Welcome to the blogging world! And I love your idea. I am working on doing something similar to that here at Casa Gordon. I have been planning it for months, but it keeps getting put off due to other, more pressing, projects that pop up. But, it is next on the list. After cleaning the kitchen and putting the laundry away, that is.

melissa said...

Alrighty, there, chica! It's been over two weeks. Time to update this bad boy. :)

ali said...

awesome! I hear ya on the whole "getting eaten alive" by children and responsibility! It is tough, huh! Thanks for inspiring me to get organized!

Sarah said...

Hi Jamie! Your kids are adorable! I bet you are the funnest mom around.